There was the old boat around for a long time, and it's growing sea-worn (worn or garage). The seats and carpet to be replaced or recovering, needs a new fiberglass gel coat, and some little things in need of repair. Do you want an up-to-date look, but you certainly do not want to pay thousands of dollars for a new ship. How about sprucing up the old tub for a while? It may be fun, but where to start?
This is just about my husband and I a. We wanted to have a decent ship at times, but I did not use the boat to the merits of buying a new one. Therefore, we have decided to fix up the old one. First, we examined what it would take to put it back in good shape. One of the most obvious was a thorn in the seats. If you place them replaced? After investigating all possibilities, we came to a pretty clear choice – to bring them back would cost $ 400th They were replaced by new ones would cost about $ 160, so it's a no brainer. We found the seats for sale a nationally known sports outlet, ordered them and had them within days.
The next area was in dire need of attention fiber. It was dull and lackluster years, the sun and the weather. Once the products that are designed for the do-it-yourselfers, it was obvious that there was not a lot of labor-intensive, and the results were not large or long-term; Therefore, we decided to leave it to the experts to restore the fiberglass. In order to get a better deal, we decided to strip the ship before it is an estimate. The seats, carpet, carpet adhesive, railings, front compartment, and all accessories are removed carefully. Then we took the local shipbuilding. Because we were naked in the boat to be ready for renovation. The cost – $ 700th We saved about $ 200 to take all "stuff" off. So far they have $ 860 invested. (If you are repainting a boat trailer, it's a good time to do it.)
While the fiber was restored, we set the task of finding carpet, ordering, and getting it ready for mounting. Although the ship's carpet mats can be found in local stores, home improvement stores, or marine supply, the selection is usually very limited, especially in the choice of colors. As the ship was brown and bronze shades, the search led us to the Internet to find a carpet color that complements the ship's colors. The best selection and the best price we sell a carpet found in the carpet capital of the world – Dalton, Georgia. We ordered the 20-foot work, but it turned out to be too much, but at least do not run out. The carpet was $ 6.00 a foot. After delivery, we had approximately $ 160 carpet. Now he has spent $ 1020th
Once the fiber was bright again, and the ship was back home, we began the task of re-carpeting. We decided to do this ourselves. It's really not that hard, just laborious. Since this step to complete personally, I'm detailing equipment, and our steps and some of the "secrets" trial and error we found out.
* utility knife blades and lots of carpets
* Utility-quality scissors
* Small handcuffs, if necessary edges
* drill stripping wheel
* putty knife
* Black marker
* Once brushes
* n vacuo
* cloths, rags, rags
* Large work area
* mineral spirits or acetone
* Roll of brown wrapping paper
* measuring tape
* Exterior latex adhesive – 1 gallon
* The old carpet dissolving putty knife and pull it to the surface. If carpet resists removal, use of alcohol or acetone to dissolve the glue.
* After removing carpet, scrape glue residue from surfaces. Use drilling and stripping wheel to remove remaining glue. Be sure to remove be stuck as possible.
* Vacuum the inside of ships, then wipe off.
* The samples of the various components over carpeting by covers, etc., brown paper and follow around each at least one inch for general zone. The parts such as the diaphragm cover, do not forget that an extra amount needed to cover the edges plus enough to get over the beautiful look.
* The real need of the ship carpeting, use a yard stick and a tape measure to determine the size and shape of the field. Draw your pattern on the paper.
* Measurement flooring samples and pull off in this area. Tape two widths of paper together to make this pattern.
* After all samples are made, each one corresponding to the position of the vessel and mark with an "up" arrow to the direction to the mat to face grain. If you can not lay all the right pieces of carpet fiber direction leads to the mat seemingly different shades.
* Lay out carpet samples, making sure each piece is positioned correctly with the carpet of grain. Cut each piece of heavy-duty scissors.
* Disposable brush, generously spread glue on the first surface to be covered. Place a piece of carpet standing right in front of the grain line. Starting in the center, it smooths the edges. If the piece edges and lips, make sure it turns smoothly. Safe turning chapter clamps, if necessary, until dry.
* The flooring, glue generously covered area near the center and working toward the edges. Once the carpet is in place, press and rub it in place, making sure all the wrinkles out. Trim edges with scissors or a utility knife.
* After making all carpeted areas to dry at least 24 hours, replace all covers, seats, upholstery and accessories.
as part of the renovation and renewal process, you can be sure to check all batteries feature a rear engine and look at the troll motor and fish finder. Make sure your boat lights operate as the lights on the boat trailer. If you need to replace the bilge, this before who he is. After all together again, all components are operating, and the boat looks like new, get out and enjoy the beauty and exhilaration of cruising on the water, and found that the particular location where the fish are biting. The total cost of the project – about $ 1,200 – not bad for turning an eyesore on a beautiful boat.